Have you seen an Invisible Killer in your Home?


The winter weather is upon us and families are heating their homes.  Keep your eyes open for the invisible killer, CARBON MONOXIDE (CO) that creeps through homes when burning fuel such as gas, propane, natural gas, oil wood, or charcoal!  Install a CO alarm outside every sleeping area and on every level of your home. But, check to make sure your CO detector is not on the recall list!

The U.S. Product Safety Commission and ADT recall carbon monoxide detectors due to an indicator failure. The model recalled is the CO 1224T Carbon Monoxide(CO) detectors. According to ADT: “when the CO detectors reach the end of their useful life, they should send a signal to make a sound in the home alarm panel alerting customers it is time to replace them and signal ADT’s alarm monitoring center. Some of the detectors were not wired properly to the ADT alarm system, resulting in the sound not going off in the home alarm panel and no signal to the ADT alarm monitoring center at the end of its useful life. Not replacing a CO detector at the end of its useful life poses a CO hazard to consumers.” Basically, once the battery runs out of the detector, there is no signal to warn consumers or the monitoring system that the detector is no longer working. This poses a hazard if there is carbon monoxide in the air because no one will be notified.

Consumers with this model should contact ADT immediately. ADT will perform an inspection of the recalled unit and perform a free repair if needed. ADT can be contacted between 8am and 10pm ET Monday through Friday toll free at (800)238-2727 or at www.us.adt.com

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC’s Hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC’s teletypewriter at (301) 595-7054. To join a CPSC e-mail subscription list, please go to https://www.cpsc.gov/cpsclist.aspx. Consumers can obtain recall and general safety information by logging on to CPSC’s Web site at www.cpsc.gov.

Join hands with Lexlee’s Kids in caring for your kids’ safety.  If you have questions about child product recalls or child safety post here or contact Lexlee’s Kids at 225-372-3991.

Child Product Recalls Issued by U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission in October 2011 are as follows:

10/5/2011 – Yu Wei Recalls Drop-Side Cribs Sold Exclusively at jcpenney Due to Entrapment and Suffocation Hazards

10/6/2011 – IKEA Recalls Children’s Folding Tent Due to Laceration and Puncture Hazards

10/11/2011 – Jogging Strollers Recalled by B.O.B. Trailers Due to Choking Hazard

10/20/2011 – LittleLife Baby Carriers Recalled by Lifemarque Due to Fall Hazard

10/20/2011 – Guidecraft Recalls Twist ‘n Sort Toys Due to Choking Hazard

10/20/2011 – ADT Recalls Carbon Monoxide Detectors Due to Failure to Properly Indicate End of Useful Life

10/21/2011 – Target Recall Children’s Frog Masks Due to Suffocation Hazard

10/25/2011 – Big Lots Recalls Glider Recliners with Ottomans Due to Entrapment and Finger Crushing Hazards

Baby it’s Cold Outside!


There’s a chill in the air to say the least, and all sorts of heat sources are going.  If you think the Grinch was silent and sneaky, you haven’t met Carbon Monoxide (CO).  This silent killer creeps through your home and gives no warning.  It’s an invisible and odorless gas, produced when burning any fuel, such as: gasoline, propane, natural gas, oil, wood, or charcoal. Carbon monoxide causes illness by decreasing the amount of oxygen  in the body.

Little ones are especially susceptible to the effects of CO, because of their smaller bodies. Children process CO differently than adults, and may be more severely affected and show symptoms sooner. You won’t know that you have a CO leak, without a working detector.  If you burn any fuels for heat or cooking, be sure that you have a working CO detector to detect a gas leak in your home.

The most common symptoms include headache, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, and confusion. In severe cases, the person may lose consciousness or die. CO poisoning can often be mistaken for other illnesses, such as the flu, which is a common illness during this cold season.  Heat up the safety in your home by following these safety tips: 

  • Install a CO alarm outside every sleeping area and on every level of your home.  Place CO alarms at least 15 feet away from every fuel-burning appliance to reduce the number of nuisance alarms.
  • Test alarms every month, make sure they can be heard and replace them every five years.
  • Have all gas, oil or coal burning appliances inspected by a technician every year to ensure they are working correctly and are properly ventilated.
  • Never use a stove for heating and don’t use a grill, generator or camping stove inside your home, garage or near a window.
  • Never leave a vehicle engine running inside a garage, even if the garage door is open.
  • CO can accumulate anywhere in or around your boat, so install a CO alarm on your motorboat before you go out.  
  • If your CO alarm goes off, get everyone out of the house as quickly as possible into fresh air. Then call for help from a neighbor’s home or a cell phone outside of your home.
  • If someone is experiencing CO poisoning symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.  If no one is experiencing symptoms, call 911 or the fire department. They will let you know when it is safe to re-enter your home.  Even if no one is showing symptoms, it’s not a bad idea to be checked out by a doctor.

Do you have a working CO detector in your home?  If not, will you start your New Year off right and have one installed?  Snuggle up and enjoy the weather, and remember to be safe.  Join hands with Lexlee’s Kids in caring for our kid’s safety. If you have any questions about child safety and Carbon Monoxide, feel free to post them here or contact Lexlee’s Kids at 225-761-7272 or www.lexleeskids.com.